2023 Author: Charles Youmans | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-20 18:41
The Michelin tire company and the largest concern General Motors have officially demonstrated their joint project, in which the first prototype of airless tires was created. The prototype was made using a unique technology. According to the creators, the first production samples will be installed in the wheel arches of cars by 2024. At the moment, the exact list of vehicles on which it is planned to install airless tires has not been announced, but it is expected that it will definitely include the American electric car Chevrolet Bolt.
The production of this unique product will be carried out by specialists from the site in Michigan (USA). The most interesting thing is that during the presentation, representatives of Michelin and GM focused not on their technical characteristics, but on how safe these tires are for the environment. In total, there are 4 main advantages:
- airless tires cannot be punctured. They will not deteriorate from the curvature of the cord. This means that they will last several times longer than standard tires. The owner will be able to use them until the tread is completely worn out;
- this type of tire requires less energy and less raw materials. Thus, during production, the amount of harmful emissions is significantly reduced;
- "Open" tires are not sensitive to excessive and insufficient pressure, which also has a positive effect on their service life;
- the risk of getting into an accident due to a rupture or puncture of the rubber is reduced to zero.
At first it may seem that this invention is completely perfect and in the future it will become a real breakthrough. However, experts admitted that such tires have a number of disadvantages:
- this type of rubber cannot be adapted to certain operating conditions. They cannot adapt to the weight of a certain vehicle, the temperature of the environment and the roadway, or simply to the preferences of the car owner;
- the presented product has a very large mass. Airless tires weigh much more than standard ones, which negatively affects the technical condition of the vehicle's undercarriage;
- in addition, the tires keep their shape due to the special transverse elements installed in the center, which, with constant use, quickly become unusable. However, the manufacturer promised to eliminate this shortcoming.
In conclusion, it should be noted that such tires were previously presented by other companies, however, for various reasons, they could not take root on the market.